Sunday, October 7, 2007

Sugar Apples and Snorkels




Temp. 32C
Today we left ‘The Farm’ at 6 a.m. to travel back down south to pick up the snorkels/ equipment and to see James and Mutt, Bernie’s father and second stepmother. We left early to avoid the heat on the downward journey, it was already around 28C when we left, quickly accelerating to a pretty sweaty level, I really don’t like using air con but a few times we did as our legs got so hot next to the engine, the heat seemed to be extra hot coming in through the sides in the foot wells in the little jeep Bernie rented for the day. We covered the 30 miles in around 2 hour’s I think because the roads are so winding and mountainous it probably is further than that, I have not ascertained yet if the 30 miles is how the crow flies or the other way.

James and Mutt were overjoyed to see us and much talk followed with Bernie acting as interpreter for us all as James only speaks patois a kind of broken French, Mutt speaks a little English which helps but after we had the same conversation twice about ‘well what do you eat then if not fish meat and beer? I decided that probably she didn’t understand too much of what I was actually saying!

On the side in their little hut was a scrumptious looking sugar apple which James gave me as a present, I have tried one before but did not remember, or maybe I just didn’t appreciate how yummy it was before. I was not eating raw foods and my palette probably was not as attuned to nature as it is now, but anyway we went off to the beach to eat, it was going up to 11 a.m. and we were pretty hungry, I broke open this amazing sugary experience, wow it tastes like sugar, slight crystal bits at the edge, soft bits inside, (see photo) with a hint of flowers which is just the most amazing taste in the world (to me today at that moment anyway) If you want a pure piquant sugar experience eat one of these little darlings sun warmed and ready..yummmmmmmmy!


Thus fortified we head off once again to Soufriere where we held our last retreat in April 0/7 to try out our snorkelling gear again, the water was so clear, I don’t think I have ever seen it this clear before and there were so many barracudas I counted 8 just in a space of 30 secs. I moved too close to one who darted around me so quickly it scared me a I zoomed off too to find Bernie laughing and wondering what I would do if I was deep water diving and saw a shark. I don’t think so. I admit I am a scary cat when it comes to really deep water but I do love to see all the wonderful fish when I snorkel.

Enjoy your week everyone and thanks to all who have posted comments its good to know you are there!

Love Caroline and Bernie

No comments: